VE pump from a CASE IH 6BTA Cummins

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

VE pump from a CASE IH 6BTA Cummins

Postby Copperman » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:02 pm

I found a new in the box VE pump for very cheap, so I had to pick it up. It has numbers 0-460-426-142, which shows it's the same 12mm rotor/head assembly as the stock 1st gen VE pump, and looks similar on the outside, with some minor difference in the throttle lever, but the biggest difference is that it doesn't have a KSB on it. It's blocked off. 2400 rpm, 205 hp is what that particular engine was rated for, according to the numbers.
My original 1991 non-ic VE pump began leaking badly, and I was planning on resealing it, but found this other pump, so I'd rather just use the new one, of course. I've been running my VE pump without the KSB plugged in since 2009, lol. I had the timing advanced 1/8", denny T pin, full load adjusted to close to run away, and 3200 gov spring. Can someone tell me if the lack of KSB will affect my performance any? I'm installing a 4000 rpm spring in the new pump and doing the same mods I did with the other pump. Without a KSB, how far should the timing be set? I have no experience with the KSB stuff. I suppose it's possible to swap the KSB from my old pump to the new one if necessary. And yes, I do live in upstate NY, where the winters are very cold, so that is a consideration. The engine has always started instantly in the cold, with the old pump on it, without the KSB plugged in.
Copperman
fuel pin?

Re: VE pump from a CASE IH 6BTA Cummins

Postby PToombs » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:01 pm

If you had a non IC pump with the KSB unplugged, it was advanced all the time anyways. Figure about 7 degrees advanced with it unplugged, plus the 1/8th. You can either jump a tooth on the gear and leave it on the mark or shove the pump up another 1/8th and it should be close. The fuel screw setting may be different, so it may not run away at the same point as your old pump.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Copperman » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:06 pm

Excellent, thanks for the info!
Copperman
fuel pin?

Postby mhuppertz » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:56 pm

Never had mine plugged in either. Didn't really seem to make any difference.
mhuppertz

Return to The good stuff