Fuel shut off comparison

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Fuel shut off comparison

Postby IowaCummins » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:41 pm

alright i have been doing some research on these solenoids lately. the part number for the VW one is 0460494077. and here is a website for the $10 one. http://dieselvw.com/PumpSolenoid.htm

the same application VW at napa is here. for $37.89 here is the website. http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail ... 4+2074015#

and our dodge application at napa. $95.99. here is the website. http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail ... 2+2022043#

on napa's pictures the brass look identical. the VW one has a different plunger looks like a sast metal then the rubber tip and the dodge one has brass plunger and looks like the rubber is a more secure attchment.

my shutoff has had the rubber chipped. so im on a temporary cable shut down club. i hate it. idk why i just do lol. so im thinking im going to mess with mine a bit and see what i can do with mien then order the VW one from Dieselvw.com.
1993 Dodge W250 Reg cab. Auto, .010" headgasket, A1 Studs. Just the Lil Ole VE pump Fuelin 7x.014's turnin the Aurora 3000 turbo. 5" Turbo back to Duals. :cbadge:
IowaCummins
14mm rotor

Re: Fuel shut off comparison

Postby Begle1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:58 pm

If anybody is interested in VW solenoid plungers, I have a handful of them I'm looking to get rid of.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby IowaCummins » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:13 pm

hey begle i will most likely take one monday. by then i should have mine figured out whether i can rig it or not. but will pick one up anyways
1993 Dodge W250 Reg cab. Auto, .010" headgasket, A1 Studs. Just the Lil Ole VE pump Fuelin 7x.014's turnin the Aurora 3000 turbo. 5" Turbo back to Duals. :cbadge:
IowaCummins
14mm rotor

Postby AHineman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:31 pm

I got one of the solenoids from dieselvw.com and and it lasted one day in my '93 with the pump turned up and stock injectors... :shock:
Now I shut it off tractor style. :D
Andrew

Owner of two old 1stgens and not much else.
AHineman
14mm rotor

Postby burnt_servo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:48 pm

the stuff from dieselvw.com can be low quality .

i've got vw injectors tips from him in the past and have had good luck with them .

but take what he has for sale with a grain of salt , the stuff is really inexpensive , and if you can't afford it failing within 10 minutes , maybe spring for real bosch parts .

but i've got over 1/2 a dozen engines running his injector tips , 2 of them are diesel gensets with a couple years of very steady use on them now , and no failures .
'93 w250 .... stock ...
curently removing the dead moose parts ....
burnt_servo
fuel screw!!!!

Postby IowaCummins » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:50 pm

oh well i guess its a good thing i asked abotu this. i thought everyone was having good results with them? that is teh first i have heard that they have failed
IowaCummins
14mm rotor

Postby AHineman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:21 pm

For $10 I wasn't too upset, considering what I paid for a bosch one. With normal fuel settings or bigger injectors it may have lasted a lot longer.
Andrew

Owner of two old 1stgens and not much else.
AHineman
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:29 pm

I've bought 2 or 3 from him, and they came in Bosch boxes, and have worked well so far (except the one that was running 120cc through stock IC sticks, but I'm sure that was most likely operator error). Engine shut down the exact same as before the plunger failed.

I really dont see the point in buying "genuine" Bosch parts if the less costly comes in a Bosch box, looks and performs just the same. Anyone remember the $230, now $850 185 injectors? Bosch sees an opening/ increase in popularity in the American market and sticks it to us. Kudos for the dude for finding a more cost effective solution.
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby IowaCummins » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:21 pm

i have installed teh $10 solenoid and so far so good. have a little over 220 miles on her. withover 20 ful throttle runs on it. will post up if it gives me any trouble
IowaCummins
14mm rotor

Postby SNOOT » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:15 pm

Well looks like I am the latest one to look for a different option on shutting my engine down. Made a hard run Saturday night and no shut down..lol Pretty sure 400+ HP is about the limit of these little buggers..
1993 W350
SNOOT
14mm rotor

Postby IowaCummins » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:10 pm

oh my $10 one lasted around one month with my mods. i took it out and was trying to figure out how to make it reliable. well i put the plunger in a lathe and turned all the rubber off the shaft. ends up to be a tiny shaft about 1/8" long and has a taper out wards to hold the rubber on. well i shaved the taper off so i had a smoothe shaft and faced off the end surface so it had a good backing end. alright i took my old stock fuel plunger and measured it up and came out with a piece that i would have to machine. i looked around the shop trying to figure out what would work. thought ruber again, nope its too soft and chips, a teflon type material, nope too hard would not seal. hmm what is used to wrk on trucks and can handle oil and fuel? screw drivers! screw drivers have acetal hanldes that are actualy fairly soft and very resistant. so take a piece of acetal stock i have that i make screw drivers and tools out of, and cut a chunk off. put it in the lathe and turned me a new plunger end with a small hole in the back side the size of the shaft. made hole smaller that the shaft so it was a tight fit, put some super glue on the shaft and pressed the plunger onto the shaft. i installed this new shutoff plunger just over 5 weeks ago and she is still shutting off strong. i iwll have to get pics of this up soon
IowaCummins
14mm rotor

Postby SNOOT » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:32 pm

1993 W350
SNOOT
14mm rotor

Postby IowaCummins » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:59 am

that almost looks liek you can masage it back into working. when mine tear they tear about half the rubber off and all the way up to the metal collar
IowaCummins
14mm rotor

Postby SNOOT » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:35 am

I may give that a try when the next one go's tits up.
1993 W350
SNOOT
14mm rotor

Postby JBradley500 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:36 pm

IowaCummins wrote:oh my $10 one lasted around one month with my mods. i took it out and was trying to figure out how to make it reliable. well i put the plunger in a lathe and turned all the rubber off the shaft. ends up to be a tiny shaft about 1/8" long and has a taper out wards to hold the rubber on. well i shaved the taper off so i had a smoothe shaft and faced off the end surface so it had a good backing end. alright i took my old stock fuel plunger and measured it up and came out with a piece that i would have to machine. i looked around the shop trying to figure out what would work. thought ruber again, nope its too soft and chips, a teflon type material, nope too hard would not seal. hmm what is used to wrk on trucks and can handle oil and fuel? screw drivers! screw drivers have acetal hanldes that are actualy fairly soft and very resistant. so take a piece of acetal stock i have that i make screw drivers and tools out of, and cut a chunk off. put it in the lathe and turned me a new plunger end with a small hole in the back side the size of the shaft. made hole smaller that the shaft so it was a tight fit, put some super glue on the shaft and pressed the plunger onto the shaft. i installed this new shutoff plunger just over 5 weeks ago and she is still shutting off strong. i iwll have to get pics of this up soon

you better make 100 or so of them and start selling them!
92 W250- K&N Filter, Smoke Screw Adjusted, Synthetic Transmission Fluid.
340hp/662tq (8/24/12)
JBradley500
fuel screw!!!!

Next

Return to The good stuff