Fuel system

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Fuel system

Postby bgilbert » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:44 pm

Ok, my next fuel system I do IS going to cost me less to build this time around. I'm thinking about building one for my 91.5. Simple, no electric pump and regulator, basically just upgrade the supply line to 1/2"ID. 1/2" pickup and 1/2" all the way to the piston lift pump. I plan to find a shop locally that sells hydraulic hose this time, instead of high dollar Aeroquip pushlok hose, which I used last time on my 89. Hopefully it can be had for less than $4.xx a foot.

I'd like to eliminate/bypass the OEM filter setup completely. Run 3/8"ID fuel hose from the outlet of the lift pump to the inlet of the injection pump. I can handle all the plumbing, my question is: Does there have to be a filter after the mechanical lift pump?

Could I use a spin on filter between the tank and lift pump exclusively, with no filtering between lift pump and injection pump?
Bill Gilbert
85 D350 crew with 90 6BT intercooled Getrag 3.07's
93 D350 single cab Getrag 3.54's.
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby seeker1056 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:40 am

Very few fuel pumps can "draw" through a filter from the tank - they just dont have that kind of suction and will burn out from cavitation in short order - especially the Walbro inline style pumps - been there done it once too many times. ( I know you said mechanical lift pump)

Get a remote fuel filter water seperator - they are like $30 on Ebay for a good Racor or similar.

If you cant put a full 1/2" fitting on the lift pump then the 1/2" lines are a moot point and a waste of time.

Look at the fittings - check the i.d. of the fitting - especially the 3/8" ones - you will be surprised - many are only 1/4" or less i.d.

Thats why the remote filter is good - if it doesnt have big enough holes, one can drill em out and put in bigger fittings.

The pushlock hose on Ebay most times runs about $1.50 a foot if you watch for sales - nice stuff and way easier to work with than stainless steel "an" line.

Personally unless your wantin the bling of fancy hose and fittings you have to go a long way to beat seamless steel lines and fittings.

Now if you want easy and cheap - the new nylock type fuel lines for fuel injected cars comes in 25' rolls, and is like $1 a foot, and the compression fitings are like $3 each, and do a fantastic job

Now not ot rain on your parade or anything but the fuel flow these motors can use is easily within the parameters of 3/8" line

Just my .03
91 F350 5.9 Cummins, Custom built VE 12v

Sponsors of new truck

Performance Diesel Injection
Colt Cams
H&H Offroad
Arties Transmission
Toms Contracting
seeker1056
14mm rotor

Postby wannadiesel » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:12 pm

I would not want fuel coming straight out of any type of pump into the VE. There is always the potential for material to flake off valves in the pump, as well as wear particles from the piston and bore. You need the main filter in the system to be right before the IP.
'93 D350 LE Club Cab dually, Getrag, 3.54 Pow-R-Lok with: DPS EDM's, HTT Stage IV/14wg, Con-FE, Snow Stage 2 water/meth, custom fuel pin, Walbro secondary fuel system.

Best dyno: 408/844
wannadiesel
diesel guru

Postby Ace » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:09 pm

seeker1056 wrote:Very few fuel pumps can "draw" through a filter from the tank - they just dont have that kind of suction and will burn out from cavitation in short order

My piston pump reflects an average of 1-2psi HIGHER post (stock) filter coming through this on the 3/8" line right off the auxiliary tank directly underneath it:

http://72.19.150.167/PhotoAlbum/Cars/Pics/CTD_67.jpg

The 5/16 line off the stock tank and NO filter between the tank and pump shows 1-2psi LESS at the IP. So I have my doubts about the statement regarding "much suction." What experience (or conjecture) would that be based on?
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:50 pm

So Bill, are you saying you don't need a Biggg Filterr, Biggg Filterr? :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby bgilbert » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:12 pm

wannadiesel wrote:I would not want fuel coming straight out of any type of pump into the VE. There is always the potential for material to flake off valves in the pump, as well as wear particles from the piston and bore. You need the main filter in the system to be right before the IP.

This is what I was worried about and why I asked. I suppose if I could fab up a bracket I could fit the Fleetguard remote filter head along with filter FS1212, like I use on my other truck, I might be able to have it under the hood, plumbed between the lift pump and VE. It would just be much easier and quicker (not always the best way LOL) if I had the filter on the frame between tank and lift pump. I'll do some more investigating.

Oh and Pete, I will be using the same filter in this system as I use in the Biggg filter truck. Only I dropped down a size from the FS1000 on 89, which hung down a littttle too low. It's about a 11" filter. Now I use FS1212, its around 7". Same filter, just shorter and not an 'upgrade' of FS1000, I guess.
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:54 pm

I just had to throw that out there Bill, you know how it is! :wink: 8)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to The good stuff