Project Grimm

All of 'em

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O, MUDDY

Project Grimm

Postby meby » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi fellas,
Project Grimm: I plan on using this thread to document swapping the engine/trans (diesel) out of my 2000 Jetta TDI into a 2000 Ford minivan. We needed a family vehicle that gets better then a 20 mpg minivan, hence the swap. We are projecting from the outset a minimum of 35 mpg. The donor vehicle came with a blown engine from a friends scrap yard and is extremely inexpensive even though it is rust free and loaded with leather etc. The swap will entail a partial harness/computer swap along with the obvious engine/trans/inter-cooler etc. Tire size will be changed to maintain current gearing and eventually mild injectors to compensate for the extra weight of the minivan. We'll likely add a pyro to make sure we don't toast it.

Phase one: completed - checking, measuring and making sure it can be done without major surgery/fabrication.

Phase two: in process - buying as many parts ahead of time to speed the actual swap. We can't be without a family vehicle for months. I just picked up a clutch from South Bend Clutch today. Thumbs up. In the mail are things like a rear main seal, trans fluid, etc - we plan to change wear parts that are readily accessible while the engine/trans are out.

Phase three: mechanical swap. The purpose of this phase is to get the vehicle running and on the road. Fabbing mounts, axles etc. We should begin this phase in a month.

Phase four: finishing misc. Once its on the road, we'll figure out details like making speedometer work.

btw. I know this is a cummins forum, but I know some of you here and thought you might be interested in what is likely a highly unique project. :D
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-2000 Ford Windstar TDI Diesel 5 spd
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-Speedex Walking Tractor.
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Re: Project Grimm

Postby ellis93 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:27 pm

Watchin ;)
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:11 pm

I started reading was appalled that you were going to cut up your Jetta for a FORD minivan! :shock: Then I read further and saw you got a donor. Save what you can, Jetta parts are pretty easy to get rid of, especially any engine parts you don't use. Does that have the EGR crap? if so, get a delete and get it on before you install it. ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:09 pm

Pete...I read it that he is using his VW as the donor for the van, as the van is really clean...
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:36 pm

Ike, I misread it. He IS going to cut up his Jetta! :shock: I had read it like he got another Jetta as an engine donor.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby rockbuggy4x4 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:07 pm

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Jimmy
--> '85 cab w/ '89 engine and trans stock with minor pump tweaks and a flatbed. **soon to get lots of goodies**
--> '95 jimmy not so stock

rockbuggy4x4
fuel screw!!!!

Postby meby » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:55 pm

PToombs wrote:I started reading was appalled that you were going to cut up your Jetta for a FORD minivan! :shock: Then I read further and saw you got a donor. Save what you can, Jetta parts are pretty easy to get rid of, especially any engine parts you don't use. Does that have the EGR crap? if so, get a delete and get it on before you install it. ;)

I have an egr delete on the way!
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:07 pm

Yeh, the goal is transportation that has a lot more room then the jetta we have now, but with close to double the fuel mileage of any mini-van on the market. The engine and transmission (diesel - 5spd) will be taken out of the Jetta and put in the mini-van.

Yes, we are going to cut up the jetta. Its not even close to pristine anymore - its got a fair amount of non-engine issues like rust, a slug of failing electronic systems and its a salvage title vehicle to boot. I'll be dollars ahead using the owned jetta (low resale value) instead of sourcing a donor jetta to get all my engine/trans parts + any peripheral systems we might use. the owned jetta has the added bonus of having all serpentine components and the timing belt having been changed over the last year and a half. Cross my fingers, once the swap is complete the ford aught to be solid for a long time.
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:41 pm

I didn't know the Jetta was a salvage. The time I saw it in Peru it looked pretty good, the rust must be working overtime in Michigan lately! :lol: Sounds like it has had all the necessary work done to it, so it should last a while.
Carry on! ;)
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:09 pm

Yeh. I was a really nice rebuild, but its got rust starting to pop through quite a few places last winter. The only thing that hasn't been done yet is injectors...they are a little tired ( got 220,000 on them - service life is about 150,000 ), but i'm not quite sure I can swing injectors in this deal. It might have to wait a year.
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:35 pm

Has anyone else done this swap? I'm kinda wondering how everything will fit.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:46 pm

The TDi is becoming the SBC/Cummins go to swap for anything small diesel engine related.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Got most of the parts ready - swap starts in about two weeks.

Dazed...fitment shouldn't be a big deal. The v6 and auto take up more space then the diesel.
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:14 pm

Take a lot of pics for us if you can. I love seeing creative swaps.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:37 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:Take a lot of pics for us if you can. I love seeing creative swaps.

I'll do my best. We are tentatively on for the week of July 29. :D
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Next

Return to Other diesels