6.5L stalling and hard to start

All of 'em

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O, MUDDY

6.5L stalling and hard to start

Postby rockbuggy4x4 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:52 am

I picked up a '96 Suburban with the 6.5L diesel in it to drive while I build my crew cab. It was sitting all summer. I've put some fuel additive in the tank (with about 1/2 full tank), replaced the PMD, replaced the lift pump, ordered new glow plugs (probably not related to the stalling issue though), and about to order new injectors soon. When it does run, it runs great. I drove it with no issues for about 2 or 3 miles from where I got it to my house, then that's when it starting stalling. Does anybody have any experience with these engines? I really need to get this thing going. Thanks in advance for any help.
Jimmy
--> '85 cab w/ '89 engine and trans stock with minor pump tweaks and a flatbed. **soon to get lots of goodies**
--> '95 jimmy not so stock

rockbuggy4x4
fuel screw!!!!

Re: 6.5L stalling and hard to start

Postby ellis93 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:10 am

My dad had one that did something similar.....it would run like a champ then all of a sudden kill itself at low rpm. To get it to run again you'd have to spin that motor for at least a minute and it would fire right up. We really didn't go that far into it,we just snatched off the pump and told the pump shop to fix it. After it was put back on it never did it again.
I asked the builder what the issue was and he just told me there was some metering plates that would cuase the issue. That could be total BS but you couldn't prove it by me.
Every had start issue I've ran into with these motors were one,or combination,of three things.....compression,crank speed,or glow plug solenoid. Mostly solenoid problems as they are of poor design(IMO of course). They house a thermostat that goes bad and wont cycle the plugs when hot,and these motors need them even when hot (say 150° or less hot). If you replace it,the only ones that work are from the dealer,I've used the borgewarner brand from O'Reilly and they don't last long. I've even went as far as to mount the thing to one trucks fender well to see if they'd last longer and still dead in short order.
Best just to rig up a push button to actuate it and be done with the thermo control.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby rockbuggy4x4 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:34 am

Thanks for the quick reply Ellis. I agree with the hard start-glow plug thing. Half of my glow plug aren't plugged in (plug tabs are rusted/broken off :bh: ). I was messing around with it yesterday and today. Opened up the return line and when I blew air into it, it would pressurize and spit diesel out at me. Keep blowing air into it and pressure went down. Bleed all the air out of the system. now its running. Gonna take it for a test drive later to see how she does.
Jimmy
--> '85 cab w/ '89 engine and trans stock with minor pump tweaks and a flatbed. **soon to get lots of goodies**

rockbuggy4x4
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:53 am

When my suburban did that the lift pump was junk.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:38 pm

I drove a '95 service truck with a 6.4 in it. I was about 2 hours from the shop and it wouldn't start after I shut it off. By the time the tow got there it ran again. Turns out there is an oil pressure switch that shuts off the fuel if you don't have oil pressure. When it was cold it would build enough trip the switch. A shop replaced it and it worked great after that. I wonder if yours is going bad and low pressure at idle is trying to kill it?
I don't know much about those engines.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby rockbuggy4x4 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:46 am

well, the lift pump is brand new, and I've also tested the oil pressure switch. That's working too. I've searched on a couple websites and the OPS sends power to the pump, well the pump is getting power. I did drive it around last night for a while, it ran great, until it stalled again. I have noticed that every time it stalls/doesn't start the fuel filter is near empty (even if I let the lift pump pressurize the system). I've also opened up the bleeder cap on the fuel filter and noticed a hissing sound. With the bleeder open, ran the pump, fuel squirts out. So I'm thinking it might be sucking air in from somewhere?
Jimmy

rockbuggy4x4
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:26 am

I had hell with the fuel filters black plastic ring not sealing the filter oring off,they'll suck air there.

Sounds like your supply put is coming and going on you. What brand pump did you buy?

I is just that one on the frame,the one thats in line?
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby rockbuggy4x4 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:50 am

I think the pump is just a generic factory replacement one. The box it came in has Autopart International printed all over it. And yes, that's the one in line on the frame. I also rigged up my fuel pressure gauge to the bleeder on the filter and it holds a steady 5 psi.
Jimmy

rockbuggy4x4
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:54 am

While its dead,does it have that pressure?
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby rockbuggy4x4 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:14 pm

dead?
Jimmy

rockbuggy4x4
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:22 pm

Yeah the motor dies,stalls out,chokes,quits running. Does the lift pump supply the same psi when the engine dies? I've seen lift pumps come and go,it's not that uncommon,especially with low level units
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby rockbuggy4x4 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:27 pm

Oh, yea. It holds the 5 psi. I'm thinking there might be a blockage or a pinhole in the line from the tank to the pump.
Jimmy

rockbuggy4x4
fuel screw!!!!

Postby rockbuggy4x4 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:16 am

Still haven't had any luck with it. Going to drop the tank this week to put in a new pick-up in and I'll probly throw new fuel lines in as well as an in-line filter.
Jimmy

rockbuggy4x4
fuel screw!!!!

Postby rockbuggy4x4 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:01 am

finally getting a little more time to work on this thing here. Dropped the tank, there was a little bit of sediment and junk in there. Gonna clean it out as best i can and see what happens.
Jimmy

rockbuggy4x4
fuel screw!!!!

Postby bmw4aaron » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:57 pm

I've been through 2 6.5's over the years. Stalling is usually PMD. Did you relocate it OUT OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT? My last 6.5L exhibited classic PMD failure. Replaced PMD and harness to front bumper, then developed a studdering issue when cold, but would run perfect if I plugged the old PMD in that was still on the side of the injection pump. I finally replaced the pump because it was starting to leak. It fixed all my issues. But durring my diagnosis checks I did find my fuel cap wasn't venting properly and was pulling a vacuum. I backed it off a few turns (so it could vent) and it did cure some other driveability issues I had. Best way to tell is drive it to the gas station and take the cap off, if there is a loud 'woosh' then you have a bad cap.
bmw4aaron
fuel pin?

Next

Return to Other diesels