Feedback from new member

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847

Feedback from new member

Postby flyin6 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:59 am

First of all, thanks to whomever had the thoughtful insight to open this site. A site like this one is very helpful in the sharing of ideas and the furthering and betterment of the whole community here.

I thought I'd offer some new-guy (here) feedback.
The PM system apparently works after 25 posts, correct?
I would like to suggest that restriction be eliminated, here's my argument:
The purpose of a site is to bring people together and share information. That is a form of communication. So is the PM, so for some reason a place of fellowship and communication is somewhat stifled. I don't see where that is helpful... I could go on, but that's the reader's digest version I'm sure you appreciate!

Secondly, I found it impossible to get into the for sale section...same problem. Again I cannot see where limiting the number of people able to view others for sale items is helpful. It seems rather controlling, suggesting you have to reach some level of credibility or something like that before one can view and possibly purchase another's item. Many folks such as myself who are very active on forums (One of my build threads currently is nearing 1,000,000 views) might have just stumbled upon this little gem. But before we can enjoy membership we have to achieve smoke screw status or some other mythical level.

I wish this site the very best of luck and healthy growth, and I offer these comments for your consideration.
flyin6
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Feedback from new member

Postby coalroller1 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:47 pm

i kinda feel the same way, not being able to use the full potential but i guess its a good way to keep people active on the forum, and not using them as a 1-800-help line when they get in trouble, I'm new to diesels and ive already found this site more then helpful and ill be sure to stick around
coalroller1
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:11 am

The reason we set the 25 post limit is to keep spammers away. We had a lot of people signing up just to use the for sale section and not contribute to the site and a few robot spamming through PM's. It takes no time on here to get 25 useful post if you read through the on going topics. We are pretty laid back group but trying to keep others from abusing our site. I'm sure BC will fill in on anything I missed or got wrong.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby fxr3 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:38 am

I would think the for sale boards would benefit(buyers and sellers)by no restrictions to post. And the ability to pm a member would be nice also.

Maybe "to read" 25 posts, as opposed to making 25 posts, would be an easier criteria to meet.
fxr3
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:39 am

fxr3 wrote:I would think the for sale boards would benefit(buyers and sellers)by no restrictions to post. And the ability to pm a member would be nice also.

Maybe "to read" 25 posts, as opposed to making 25 posts, would be an easier criteria to meet.

The problem with that is your get people who join just to try and sell their stuff and won't contribute and we get spammed. In a few days you can make 25 useful post on here.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:34 am

dazedandconfused wrote:
The problem with that is your get people who join just to try and sell their stuff and won't contribute and we get spammed. In a few days you can make 25 useful post on here.

Not true. I still have yet to make 25 usefull posts. However, I have made tons of them that are useless!
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:44 am

We make an exception for you though Jeff.
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:43 am

Boo hoo :cry:
:roll:

:lol: look I just made post,the value of it is up to the reader :)
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:53 am

RumbleFish wrote:Not true. I still have yet to make 25 usefull posts. However, I have made tons of them that are useless!

Here as well :lol:

Maybe it's just me, but if someone's first post is a for sale thread (or worse a wanted thread), I'm not going to oblige their self-serving thought process. THEY joined OUR group. Not the other way around. Secondly a person with under 100 posts has not developed internet credibility in my opinion. Send my money to someone with 2 posts? Sure, want my SSN to?

I do not believe in making rules for the sake of making rules, but I feel that it's an unwritten rule of common sense to not buy or sell with someone that is unknown. I know it rubs me the wrong way when post number 10 on other forums is a for sale thread. The person spammed up 10 (or 25) posts in order to make a for sale thread. I'd rather see one spam for sale thread that gets zero replies and sinks than hitting "view new posts" and see 20 "cool project" posts in dated build threads.

Just my $.02
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:27 am

fxr3 wrote:I would think the for sale boards would benefit(buyers and sellers)by no restrictions to post.

Our Classifieds section is not our primary purpose. In fact, it's a free privilege with being a active member. Not a right. :)

Typical: . . . . We've a new member who joined us and in the course of three minutes, made three posts. They were, at a minimum, simple comments regarding the thread, but no real contribution.

My point is, look at the website he's made association to. :roll:

He's NOT spammed us . . . . . yet. Therefore, I've not banned him. I've a very strong notion that he thinks he can "Get Past The System" by believing he's flying under the RADAR.

cmann250 wrote:The person spammed up 10 (or 25) posts in order to make a for sale thread. I'd rather see one spam for sale thread that gets zero replies and sinks than hitting "view new posts" and see 20 "cool project" posts in dated build threads.

BC847 wrote:Before Newly Registered Members can access The Classifieds and Private Message feature, we ask that you introduce yourself in our Welcome forum and tell us about your truck. Step into the Engine, Chassis and "The Good Stuff" boards for example. See what kind of problems folks are having and the solutions they come up with. Ya may learn something. Recognize a problem you had? Contribute the fix that worked for you.

Come up with 25 meaningful posts, and you can then access the Classifieds and PM system. Please don't attempt to circumvent this with a bunch a rapid-fire BS posts. If I see it occurring, I'll delete all your posts and you can start over, . . . once.

This is an effort to cut down on Spammers and folks who use us as a Bill-board and nothing else. We hope that it'll make the members time spent here is that much more enjoyable.

As found here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=12299
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby fxr3 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:48 pm

I assume none of the follow-ups were necessarily pointed at me.
And, I would say I do use this site as a 1-800-help line, as someone suggested(as if that were a bad thing). Isn't that the idea?
I know people do a lot of work to maintain a site like this, and I greatly appreciate it.
The "1st. Gen" refers to a 4 year run of a truck from a (at the time) second rate mfg.Probably saved the company, who knows.
Makes it a relatively small group, and I may be completely wrong, but even a robot would know not to waste its time spamming the site with Pinto parts.
And, I am in-fact going to sell my 93 w250, blah,blah,blah 115k original miles, bla bla,bla cherry one of these days, and call me selfish. but would like a audience of buyers that are into the truck, not a audience of people that consider it an old, junky truck, hoping a random connoisseur picks it off of craiglist or trade express. Seems like a chocolate/peanut butter, win, win to me. But piling on a bunch of posts to make my quota,or just to make chit-chat seems more adding to your problem, that would not be contributing,imo. And, I don't like publically thanking people for a answer on a post question, seems it just clutters up board, and often ends up conversations between 2 people and/or with " don't want to hijack post, but……". But, p.m,ing them seems more polite and correct. IMO.

Feel free to "slam me" for my thoughts. I do appreciate site, just actually trying to contribute. Go figure. Barry
fxr3
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:32 am

I agree, it seems ridiculous to demand someone do something for us before they can do something for us. There's been more than a couple guys that posted a newbie thread, with a nice truck for sale, just to get heckled and "ruled" outta here. If this place had been like that when I first showed up I'm not too sure I'd be here right now. Chasing off any source of supy for our trucks, no matter how slim, seems very counterproductive to our very existence.

However, I'm not the guy that's gotta get up every morning and deal with deleting a bunch of spam posts, or the guy who gets to catch flak when someone gets scammed in the F/S section even though it couldn't possibly be my fault it happened, besides providing the real estate for the deal.

Whatever though, rules are rules and I never piped up when they were getting set up in the first place.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:48 am

BC847 wrote:Please don't attempt to circumvent this with a bunch a rapid-fire BS posts. If I see it occurring, I'll delete all your posts and you can start over, . . . once.

It seems as though all this rule accomplishes is more work for you.

It does not bother me that much, being an established member, but it's just an observation.
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby DMan1198 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:58 am

Believe it or not those restriction help a good deal. Extra work it may be, but the mods are willing to take that time.

The only restrictiction I'd want changed is the ability to fill out your signature right away,
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:10 am

DMan1198 wrote:The only restrictiction I'd want changed is the ability to fill out your signature right away,

I just fixed it so one can. :)

(It may be effective with those signing-up fromthis moment forward though).
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Next

Return to 1st Gen.org suggestions