Radio upgrade ideas

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Radio upgrade ideas

Postby stillsmokin » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:24 pm

I was thinking of doing some upgrades to the stereo in my W350 cc. I put in a factory CD player out of a newer durango a while back, it works great but, I don't like having to turn the volume knob around 3 turns to hear it over the engine. So I'm thinking of doing some upgrades.

I actually want to keep the durango head unit and just put a high/low converter on. The stock radio looks like it belongs in the truck and they're theft deterrent. I was thinking a moderate sized external amplifier and some decent speakers. I'm not wanting to hack up the nice interior, it lived this long.

Ideas appreciated...
92 W250LE REG CAB, SLED PULLER, S400
93 W350LE EXT CAB, dually, 5 speed
stillsmokin
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Radio upgrade ideas

Postby Philip » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:14 am

Kenwood makes a 4x10 2 way rear speaker. They sound better than the stockers do. These mount different from the stockers. They fit the box. Dodge only used two mounting screws on the speakers. The kenwoods take 4. I removed the standoffs for the orginal speakers. Then I just drilled threw the front of the speaker box and used machine screws.

Any good 6x9 for the doors.

I am using a compact 8" sub/amp to round out the package. I used the driver side jump seat mounting bracket as the mounting for the sub/amp.

I installed a kenwood deck. It will be gone soon. Protection error code throwing POS.

Pete did 1100 miles in the truck to and from MM's event. He might step in and give you an idea of how it sounds.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:56 pm

Huuuuuuuuuunh? :lol: It sounded pretty good. It drowned out the 11 year old whine from the back seat. :mrgreen:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby stillsmokin » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:09 pm

Has anyone swapped out the oval speakers for round ones? I've heard of a 6.5" into the doors and dual rounds into the rear boxes. I've also thought of enclosing the back of the rear speaker boxes and drilling a smaller port for air movement... I would think they would hit alot harder that way.

I would think a 200W amp should be plenty?
92 W250LE REG CAB, SLED PULLER, S400
93 W350LE EXT CAB, dually, 5 speed
stillsmokin
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ofelas » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:31 am

I put Infinity 6x9 in the front doors & Infinity 6.5" out back. Looks 100% stock when buttoned up.
R12 = liquid bilit
ofelas
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Lounge