***BEWARE: Ford talk: Clutches***

Off topic/not diesel related

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

***BEWARE: Ford talk: Clutches***

Postby cmann250 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:16 pm

Sadly, I slipped the clutch in my truck testing out my Made in America NAPA 6637 air filter. It gets up there making power like V8s do over 2000 rpms and it jumps to 2500 like its nothing when I'm heavy on the loud pedal. I've never had an issue out of it before.

So now I'm pricing clutches. The truck is sub-400 hp now. It will always be sub-500 hp. The truck has been converted to SMF.

***Skip if you don't care about Ford drivel***
I should have PMRs (weak), but I've not checked. In the event I do, I'll replace my injectors with stock single shots and get some tow tunes written.

If by some stroke of luck I have forged rods, I may get 175s (stage 1.5ish) at most and a drop in GTP38R. Bottom line, I need to check what rods I have.
***End Ford drivel***

I'm not above leaning on the truck and putting it through its paces. I tow heavy and more often than the average Joe. Pedal feel isn't my top priority, but holding power is.

I like supporting local companies, so I looked up South Bend Clutch. They recommend a dual disc if I tow. That's dandy, but its expensive and I'd need to replace the fly wheel and all.

I've yet called and talked to anyone. Anyone want to talk clutches? SBC or otherwise. Thanks.
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Re: ***BEWARE: Ford talk: Clutches***

Postby oldestof11 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:32 pm

More and more in seeing failures on Facebook of people SBC DD floater plate failing. My good friend had one fail spectacularly. He had a Dyno proven 414hp setup. Not even 1 pull ( just got the engine loaded up and popped a u-joint) and the floater plate broke in half. He towed quite a bit with it.

When I had my W250 that burned, I tried calling SBC about a custom clutch for racing in a 600hp max engine. No one wanted to. Talked to Dan at Valair he had a nice single that he said would last a season and he'd rebuild it. He also says his floater plates are made of steel, not cast like SBC.

Valair started out making class 8 clutches. I think they know how to make a clutch for towing.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby peobryant » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:51 pm

Talk to Kenny from Kenny's Pulling Parts. I'm not 100% positive if he works with PowerStrokes but I know he does fantastic work for Cummins trucks. It can't hurt to call or email him and ask. It is a Kentucky business, that is kind of local. :lol:

http://kennyspullingparts.com//
Parker
1991 Dodge Ram D350, Cummins Turbo Diesel, A518
1972 Mercedes-Benz 220D, OM615 Diesel, 4 Speed Manual
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby AHineman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:04 pm

Don't get a single disk if you plan on making any power at all. Getting one that will hold means it will be a pain to back a trailer or get one rolling, etc. I've got a ceramic single disk from Powerparts Engineering in Ohio. I think it's a Valair, because that's what Terry sells now, but idk. Really good clutch and works with the power I have, but when I have my truck together I do use it and a single disk that will hold power is either on or off. I wanted the fast shifting of a single disk back when I put mine together, but now I'd rather have something I could use like a truck easier. (Last trip to the scrap metal place I grossed between 14 and 15k, so I'm not heavy compared to most, but heavy for the power level I'm at).
Andrew

Owner of two old 1stgens and not much else.
AHineman
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:18 pm

I've got a Valair full ceramic single disc and it backs up like crap. I wish I had gotten less clutch than I did, it's good for 600 hp and now I realize I didn't need that much. It's taken my abuse very well, so I'll recommend Valair in a heartbeat.

Shouldn't this thread be in the "Other POS" section instead of the lounge? :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:13 am

PToombs wrote:Shouldn't this thread be in the "Other POS" section instead of the lounge? :lol:

I expect it will get derailed in spectacular fashion, so I put it here. :lol:

What ever is in it now is grabby like no other. The reverse gear is low and I'm good at backing up trailers so it doesn't matter too often. It's annoying but I'm used to it.

Thanks for the pointers gentlemen. I'll look around the net today and do some calling around Monday.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:49 am

Honestly Caleb. I don't know if I'd buy into the double disc crap myself,and really I wouldn't run another ceramic disced clutch with a truck I work.....period.
If it were me in your place,I'd be hunting a clutch with a larger friction surface. Something bigger than that 1 3/4" or 2" crapper that the factory puts in there. The dual disc would be doing the same thing,only adding a huge amount of weight and noise to the equation.
A pressure plate is a pressure plate,there's absolutely no way a dual disc pp is any stouter than a single disc so that is a bologna story if your told its stronger. A pp is only springs.

I'd find one with a 3" faced single disc.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby DMan1198 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:16 pm

i see mention of a turbo swap. From what I can see Garrett has 3 versions of the gt38 (62, 64, and 67 all with a 74mm turbine wheel) the compressor maps don't show up, but if you're upgrading why not go to something like the gtx4088r? 65mm comp wheel , and 77mm turbine wheel. It's also a bb charger, so spoolup should actually improve over the gt38
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:29 pm

DMan1198 wrote:i see mention of a turbo swap. From what I can see Garrett has 3 versions of the gt38 (62, 64, and 67 all with a 74mm turbine wheel) the compressor maps don't show up, but if you're upgrading why not go to something like the gtx4088r? 65mm comp wheel , and 77mm turbine wheel. It's also a bb charger, so spoolup should actually improve over the gt38

The 38R is a drop-in. 66mm inducer/88mm turbine. It's essentially an upgraded factory turbo. I won't go to a T3 or T4 set-up. V8 problems. :roll:

It's pretty hard to find any aftermarket options outside of South Bend and Valair. Kenny's website doesn't show anything.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby DMan1198 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:06 pm

Then that seems like a mistake to buy a v8
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby Remps » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:50 pm

What year of truck is it?
'90 D250 R/C,727,IC,6x.009's,1/8" bump,fuel psi,straight pipe w/5" stack.
'90 W250 R/C,47rh,K@N,HX35,1/8" bump,2nd gen IC,boost,egt,trans temp.3.07's.
'96 2500 S/C L/B,2wd,NV5600,3.54 L/S,cai,egt,pacbrake,mbrp exhaust,10 plate.
Bring back the Bank of Canada, PRE- 1974.
Remps
14mm rotor

Postby fatty » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:29 pm

DMan1198 wrote:Then that seems like a mistake to buy a v8

What he said.

Cmann, sounds like you need to get back into a first gen. My buddy has a 01 7.3 that broke a PMR a few months ago. Sure would suck to have to replace an engine at only 300 HP because of crappy factory parts.
91.5 w250
fatty
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:45 am

Remps wrote:What year of truck is it?

'02

fatty wrote:What he said.

Cmann, sounds like you need to get back into a first gen. My buddy has a 01 7.3 that broke a PMR a few months ago. Sure would suck to have to replace an engine at only 300 HP because of crappy factory parts.

I wish I could have a 1stgen or any 12v again. I'm hooked on 4 wheel discs, hydroboost, interiors younger than me, 6 speeds, and all the things that come with a newer truck. I either have old truck problems, "new" truck problems, or I buy something brand new and have no problems. The first time I had a trailer on this truck, I knew I could never go back to an older truck.

It's complicated :?

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby AHineman » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:22 am

12v swap fixes all problems, right? :P

By the time you get that 7.3 running good, you could have had a tweaked 12v under the hood. :mrgreen:
Andrew

Owner of two old 1stgens and not much else.
AHineman
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:27 am

Okay here is my opinion on this. I have ran the South Bend Con Fe in the first 01 Cummins I had and beat the crap out of that clutch. I got it used from a buddy who upgraded to a dual disc. For driving around lightly loaded it wasn't bad backing up. The more weight I stuck behind it the worst it got to back up. With a 18' tag trailer and a 963 bobcat loaded it was impossible to back up with out bucking and jerking the sthi out of you. I towed the same setup with my buddies 97 12v and a south bend street dual disc and it was nice and smooth. I've never had any issues with South bend but had several failures out of Val air back when they first started out and none where warrentied.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Next

Return to Lounge