Project Grimm

All of 'em

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O, MUDDY

Re: Project Grimm

Postby DMan1198 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:03 pm

Indeed it does. If it were me I'd pull all the Ford badges off though
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:19 am

Another update: Miles are over 30,000 now and I finally got around to finishing up a couple more electrical items. I wired in a relay to remove the VW ignition - using two keys was getting old. I also wired up the turn signal indicators for the jetta cluster. On these vans the turn signals are constant hot (key or no key) with an interrupted ground. In order to get the jetta turn indicators to work properly I had to wire a pair of relays. I also made a belly pan to reduce road splatter on engine components, and reduce airflow/turbulence through the engine compartment to aid winter warm-up time. And just maybe it will improve the vans under-body drag cd a bit too.

On a side note, I pulled into a gas station last week and when I shut off the van and pulled the key, the radio stayed on, and the fan blower and the headlamps and marker lights came on, but everything turned off as soon as the ignition was turned to the run position. After an hour and a half of studying the 5'' thick owners manual and a great deal of stress trying to figure out what the heck was wrong, I stumbled across a bad fuse to the REM (one of at least three main computers this van has). Problem solved.

Wheew!
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-2000 Ford Windstar TDI Diesel 5 spd
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-Speedex Walking Tractor.
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:31 pm

What do you do when you realize that the battery in your swap is to small? :mrgreen:

I realized last week that the stock Windstar battery was undersized when you take into account AH ratings of the oem VW's. I had put in a new battery (Deka) soon after the swap and it made it a tad over two years. I thought this was pretty poor until I realized I was probably torturing it by using it with the diesel. :shock: Since I have a good source for a good brand and reasonable priced new batteries ($130 for the one in the picture), I said what the heck and bought the same battery that the Cummins uses. The truck battery has about a 100 AH rating!

And yes, it does fit without modification...barely. The top of the plastic box just touches the hood liner with the hood fully closed.
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-2000 Ford Windstar TDI Diesel 5 spd
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-Speedex Walking Tractor.
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Previous

Return to Other diesels