Headlights won't turn on

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Headlights won't turn on

Postby kyled19 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:36 pm

So I am having major head light issues! I have upgraded HID headlights just in case this makes a difference, anyways I went to leave a friends house one night turn on my lights the HID's light up and began warming up and then all the sudden they shut off. I tried to get them back on and they wouldn't turn on. When I would try to turn on the brights they would turn on but wouldn't stay on. If i held the bright switch I could get them to stay on but shut off the second I let go. I did some searching and everyone said it was the headlight switch so I replaced that. While I was replacing it I noticed that the connector was melted pretty bad around one of the posts. I put it back together and no luck, any idea what my problem is Im assuming it has something to do with what ever cause the connector to melt. Please help I need my headlights back!!
93 d350 extened cab dually dennyt stage 2, 3200 rpm gov spring, intake, 4 inch exhaust, he351cw, fass lift pump, and an a518. 4th gen seats
kyled19
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Headlights won't turn on

Postby ellis93 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:50 am

Check the pins in that switch plug for plastic coating inside the female spade. It happens to the old plugs. If you need another plug and can't come up with one for your truck make them look for one of a 94/95 model truck.....same plug.

The reason this happens is because of dodges wonderfully stupid propensity to use undersized wires......and 23+year old truck syndrome. Your hot rod lights are pulling to many amps thru the switch and overheating the chicken crap spade connections. This is correctable by using relays,using the switch to control the relay and have the relays connect the hids straight to the battery.......this will probably let those lights work faster and brighter.

As for an how to.....look on diesel truck resource in the first gen sticky section. There's a nice write up there.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Re: Headlights won't turn on

Postby kyled19 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:14 am

Ok I will try that! Thank you!
93 d350 extened cab dually dennyt stage 2, 3200 rpm gov spring, intake, 4 inch exhaust, he351cw, fass lift pump, and an a518. 4th gen seats
kyled19
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Electrical