The Guy trying to go to Florida

Stop in and say hi

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

The Guy trying to go to Florida

Postby Dodge Dually Nut » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:43 am

Hi All

Some of you have all ready responded to my posts and I really appreciated it! My 1st gen journey started abut a month ago with a beautiful solid no rust what turned out to be a 1990 cab chassis ( I didn't know about cab chassis trucks when I bought it) stake bed gasser 1 ton dually. I am attempting to haul a 6000 lb CNC milling machine that is 10 ft tall to Florida to trade for a set of amphibious airplane floats. I had to license the truck as a commercial truck because of the stake bed. That was the beginning of my troubles. I left all happy got 100 miles from home and the first cop I passed came after me got pulled over and found out that because I was a combined load between the truck and the trailer of over 8000lb I needed GVW plates. I sat on the side of the road for a good 1/2 hour sweating that I was going to get towed. Got out of it with what turned out to be 450 dollars worth of tickets. Headed back home on labor day weekend and contemplated what to do. Those commercial plates had to go!!! Getting 7 miles to the gallon and not having much power under load with the 360 gas engine I decided to get a diesel and a dually bed to be able to replate the truck. Bought my 2nd 1st gen (90 2wd 250 auto) truck 2 days later and found what I believe to be the only kind of decent first gen dually bed available in the mid west. Pulled motor pulled stake bed and started pulling the gas engine when I found this sight . First thing I'm learning about the frames getting bigger in 91. Turns out I have a 7.5 in frame on the gasser and a funny wheel base that will not match anything. Found out about the narrower dually rear end ( my tape measure was telling me that something was odd). I've since seen cab chassis trucks with a dually bed on them and they look funny. I stopped in mid stream put the gasser back together and sold it to a friend of mine who runs a machine shop in town. Got all of my money back including the 450 dollars worth of tickets. Now I have a rust bucket donor truck with the engine out and a dually box. Still need to get to Florida. Found truck number 3 whih is a 1991 350 diesel dually with a utility bed with gas powered air compressor from California. Same color as my bed and it turns out I found the diesel only sitcker on the inside of the gas cap that my bed had been on a diesel truck before. So I have enough parts Right? Wrong again as I found out in the manual for the truck that I finally got out and read. Combined GVW for the truck with an auto is 12000 lb which I was going to be a little over but with a stick its 16000 lb. Enter truck number 4. 92 4x4 5 speed . Say tuned got a lot to do yet.
Dodge Dually Nut
fuel screw!!!!

Re: The Guy trying to go to Florida

Postby b4autodark » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:13 am

Dually Nut,

Wow, you've been through a lot already, but you're learning. Where are you located in the midwest?

B4
b4autodark
fuel screw!!!!

Re: The Guy trying to go to Florida

Postby Dodge Dually Nut » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:26 pm

Lansing Mich. Made it to Florida and back. Had to hide out in Tennesse for two days waiting for Hurricane to go by.
Dodge Dually Nut
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Welcome