Just a little more . . . . .

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: Just a little more . . . . .

Postby fatty » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:04 pm

Boy, you sure don't waste any time. Getting right after it.
91.5 w250
fatty
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:53 pm

fatty wrote:Boy, you sure don't waste any time. Getting right after it.

Um, . . . . . this thread is over two years old, friend. I figure it's about time. :lol:

The way my mess is playing out, that bottom turbo is gonna have it's intake right there behind, just below the rear of the alternator. Hold that thought.

I've got to get that intake past the alternator, without the compressor housing getting too close the the top of the passenger's frame rail. With this mock-up progressing, I'm hoping I can dial that aspect in before I make the primary supplemental support. The way I've made the assembly thus far, I can rotate the entire thing on the secondary's center-line so as to accommodate these latter measurements.
With that, I'm replacing the stock/OEM engine lube oil filter mount with a Cummins remote oil filter mount. That will give me the room I'll need should I have to move that bottom turbo more toward the engine block.

Right now, I have NO idea where I'm gonna mount the remote filter. :shock:

David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:02 pm

fatty wrote:If it were me, I'd just leave it how it is. I really doubt there will be much difference. But then, I am a bit lazy on things like that.

Caution is advised. :!:

Still might wanna check your mess. While ordering parts, I had one vendor include the divided manifold-to-turbo gaskets. Something didn't look right, . . . . . . I ordered a second set from another vendor. WTH!?

First set top, second set bottom. See something?

Here's a second view . . .

I wonder what damage could have been done had I not caught that, and had the hot exhaust gases cut that extra off, and let it into the turbine. I'm not sure that's a T3 gasket.
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:38 pm

Got to spend some quality-time with my Son today. He was kind enough to let me use his compressor to clean up my welds and blend the flanges inside the hot and cold pipes.

The secondary, has an HX40 type of exhaust outlet (machined to an OD of 4" and has a flat sealing surface). The mating flanges that I'm using accommodate 4" OD pipe on the outside diameter, and 3.5" OD pipe on the inside diameter. Because I'm building a 3" OD hot-pipe, I had to make a transition from 3.5" to 3". The actual transition spans all of 3/4". With that, I could effectively go straight out of the flange, to 3". Cleaned up the interior of that . . . .

That hot-pipe plays into the hot-pipe WYE. Had to blend the flanges and round-off that sharp split in the middle . . ..

Then cleaned up where the two primary cold-pipes, play into the secondary's intake dome. (I'm pondering putting a turning-vane in that dome to lessen the dead-head turbulence) . . . . . .

When I tig-welded that dome to it's adjoining pipe, I undercut the sthi out of the dome trying to flow the thick and thin metal together. For purly cosmetic reasons, I went ahead and blended all that as best I could . . . . .

I need to figure out the primary's supplemental support. :?
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:46 pm

So, after giving my fingertips some time to, . . . . . stop being sore, and some time to stare at the mess, I've come up with a plan for supplemental support for the primaries.

Made a piece that spans the two primaries out of some stiff 10ga aluminum . . . . . . .

Gonna end up with a piece of the same material that similarly connect the bottom primary to the engine oil cooler cover-plate.

In the mean time, the staring, and wiggling things around . . . . . reveals that the assembled mass has just enough misalighnment of things that if I try to, well, force things together, there's too much twisting on the primaries such that the turbine wheels want to just scuff the interior of the exhaust housing. I can see the turbines are not centered in the housing. Not good.

So, wiggling things around, twisting and turning mess shows me stuff being this much off . . . . .

I figure the best fix will be to install another flex/expansion joint in the bottom primary's charge-air outlet tube.

. . . . Pesky details. :roll:
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:24 pm

So, I ended up simply cutting out just that much from the top primary cold air pipe. Everything now fits without being tweaked.

- Waiting on intake/exhaust plumbing stuff.

It's pretty evident to me that I'm gonna have to relocate the windshield wiper fluid reservoir as well as the HVAC refrigerant receiver tank. :?
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby PToombs » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:28 pm

Isn't it fun to custom build stuff to fit our trucks? :lol: I moved my washer bottle around to the front side of the fender, but if I tighten all 3 screws tight, it twists enough that the fluid leaks out around the pump. :roll: Can't win sometimes.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:14 pm

I actually find it quite fun and challenging to custom make stuff. The caveat in it is you have to live with it.

Such is the life of the person who can't JUST change the oil. :lol:

After playing with the hot-pipe WYE, I've decided to go ahead and replace the 4" down-pipe, all the way from the engine, to just past the transfer-case with 5" (it currently transitions to 5" back from there). Obviously, I'll have to custom make that piece that passes the transmission/transfer-case.

Ought to be a hoot. :shock:
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby PToombs » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:26 pm

Maybe we should start a "Glutton for Punishment Club"? :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:37 am

BC847 wrote:
fatty wrote:If it were me, I'd just leave it how it is. I really doubt there will be much difference. But then, I am a bit lazy on things like that.

Caution is advised. :!:

Still might wanna check your mess. While ordering parts, I had one vendor include the divided manifold-to-turbo gaskets. Something didn't look right, . . . . . . I ordered a second set from another vendor. WTH!?

First set top, second set bottom. See something?

Here's a second view . . .

I wonder what damage could have been done had I not caught that, and had the hot exhaust gases cut that extra off, and let it into the turbine. I'm not sure that's a T3 gasket.

Simply out of curiosity, did you hold both of those gaskets up to the manifold and the turbo inlet?

From my experience the gaskets are much larger than the actual openings. I know my 62fmw T3 .70 housing, is like 1/4" smaller than the gasket all the way around..... both straight from Borg at the time.

Just curious.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:16 pm

RCCUMMINS89 wrote:Simply out of curiosity, did you hold both of those gaskets up to the manifold and the turbo inlet?

From my experience the gaskets are much larger than the actual openings. I know my 62fmw T3 .70 housing, is like 1/4" smaller than the gasket all the way around..... both straight from Borg at the time.

Just curious.

Yup. The smaller of the two gaskets are way undersized for the manifold and 1" spacer as received. They're close to the secondary's exhaust-housing's original intake opening . . . . .

As you might expect, I opened up the exhaust housing to match the larger manifold & spacer ports. With that, I have to run the larger of the gaskets.

As per the rear axle gear-set warranty requirements, I've put 500 easy miles on the rear-end. Opened it up for a visual inspection / fluid change . . . . . .

Drive side . . . . .

Coast side . . . . .

The FSM footprint sheet shows a much smaller footprint for all the images it shows. I guess that's for reference.
As shown above,
- The drive side shows a full footprint with it being a little light on the Toe end. There's a little space at the top of the teeth.
- The coast side appears centered overall. Again, a little space at the top of the teeth.

Any thoughts fellas? :?:
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:19 pm

Good catch David.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:23 pm

After a little over 20 years of having UPS regularly deliver stuff to my house (work and personal) including as late as two weeks ago, I'm currently waiting for the new UPS driver to finish incorrectly reporting my address as being incorrect, me calling to quote delivered tracking numbers for the last two months, them Googling my house via satellite-view, and them re-sending the mess (with a familiar driver), I'm trying to keep moving forward . . . . :roll:

Made the middle piece (2nd of three) of the primaries supplemental support. Once I mount this mess to the actual engine, and get it properly located, I can then make the final part that will connect the support to the engine's oil cooler cover-plate. (That cover-plate actually sits closer to the bottom primary because of the cooler housing cast in the block).

UPS finally made it. :lol:

Got a couple of 5" ID down to 4" ID, 90* hard rubber bends. As shown isn't gonna work as the top primary bend is all in the Stock-pot filter housing. Gonna have to turn and trim, then play into another 90 that connects to the stock-pot. It's gonna be a phacking mess . . . .

David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:35 pm

Had to run to the coast this past Friday and winterize the place. The new tires and renewed front-end steering are a pleasure to drive. 8)

Finally got started on the new system down-pipe. Custom making a WYE, that hasn't a straight line in it is truly a challenge. Here, I've ovaled (sp?) a 5" bend, at an angle, so as to accept the two 3.5" down-pipes.

David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:39 pm

Good to see you making progress. When do you think you will have it on the truck?
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

PreviousNext

Return to The good stuff