HELP! 1992 Dodge D250 New Rebuilt Engine Smoking Blue Smoke

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

HELP! 1992 Dodge D250 New Rebuilt Engine Smoking Blue Smoke

Postby wilkyflex » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:35 pm

Hey guys, help me out.
I rebuilt my engine and it runs great. It has a new injection pump, new injectors 5x12, and an HX35 turbo.
It has 5000 miles on it and now it's smoking blue smoke all the time. idle, acceleration etc.

I think it burns about a quart every 1000 miles or so.

The exhaust smells very fuely....like alot of unburned fuel.

I drove it from California to New Mexico a couple of years ago and it ran great, but I noticed it started smoking when I got to new mexico. One of the injectors was plugged. I had it serviced and it finished the way home. Then I put new injectors on it and it still smokes. It continues to run great, but the smoke is getting a little worse as time goes on.

I've taken the turbo out of the equation. The smoke is coming directly out of the exhaust manifold with the turbo disconnected.

It was hot that summer and the engine did get hot on the way there. Hotter than I thought but never went over the high heat mark, but close to it. And I was not pulling anything, so it should have not go very hot.

Maybe the cylinders were over fueled and it burned the rings?
Maybe there was same bad fuel that ran through the engine and it scored the cylinders?
Maybe it's the valve stem seals.

I don't know. So I need HELP!

Can it get a probe and see inside the cylinders with a camera and see what the cylinders and piston look like?

I hate that my truck is doing this. I just spent alot of time and money to get that engine running perfectly. Now something is messed up.

Dean
805-628-6221
wilkyflex
fuel screw!!!!

Re: HELP! 1992 Dodge D250 New Rebuilt Engine Smoking Blue Smoke

Postby Remps » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:15 am

Was it fully rebuilt before or after overheating? I would just go ahead and pull the head off and have it magnafluxed, checked for straightness, and valves vacuum tested. You can get a much better look at the cylinder walls then. That's a fair bit of oil to be using, what kind of oil you running? Where is your timing set at? Have you drove the truck hard since rebuilding? Maybe you just need to take it out for a good hard run and seat the rings. If you don't want to pull the head, one could do a compression check before and after.
'90 D250 R/C,727,IC,6x.009's,1/8" bump,fuel psi,straight pipe w/5" stack.
'90 W250 R/C,47rh,K@N,HX35,1/8" bump,2nd gen IC,boost,egt,trans temp.3.07's.
'96 2500 S/C L/B,2wd,NV5600,3.54 L/S,cai,egt,pacbrake,mbrp exhaust,10 plate.
Bring back the Bank of Canada, PRE- 1974.
Remps
14mm rotor

Postby wilkyflex » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:09 pm

it over heated and then I rebuilt the engine. then on the maiden voyage, it heated up alot. Can't say it over heated but maybe it got too hot. I didn't think it did, but then it started smoking.

I had a machinist do all the head work with the valves. I can't see why the head would be cracked or anything like that.

i'm running diesel in it, but I did pour about 3 gallons of slightly used engine oil in with the mix, along with a little bio fuel. All the biofuel was being run through a 10 micro filter. And that's possible that could have caused a problem. But I didn't think it would be a problem because I didn't burn much bio fuel or engine oil in it.

I drove soft for about 1500 miles. then I drove it another 3000 miles on a trip around the western us.

I was thinking about a compression check and also about putting a camera in the injector holes to see if I can see inside there.

Thanks for your help. What do you think now? Maybe I should put up a video of it so you can see
wilkyflex
fuel screw!!!!

Postby spencerdiesel » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:52 pm

Only several gallons of waste oil/bio wouldn't cause the long term smoking I don't think, but for future reference it's not a great idea to mix bio diesel or veg oil with wmo. They don't get along and usually precipitate a lacquer
1992 W250, 5 speed, 4.10, Ext. cab Ext. bed, 12.5k winch, 75 gal. fuel tank

H1C/18

Fuel: THD 6x10 VCO sticks, THD 12 psi piston pump, THD fuel pin, 366 spring, fuel screw 2 turns in, timing to the head/ >1/4”
Muffler delete

Minimum 60% WMO full time since Sep. 2018
spencerdiesel
14mm rotor

Postby Remps » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:28 am

Could be that overheating it cooked a valve stem seal or two...which would make it smoke but still run good. Shouldn't be an injector issue, but you never know. Looking at the cylinders with a camera will tell you what shape your cylinders are in, but still won't solve the problem. I'd be looking for the cooling system issue as well. Did you put a new cummins t stat in when rebuilt? Does it always run a little hot or just randomly overheats?
'90 D250 R/C,727,IC,6x.009's,1/8" bump,fuel psi,straight pipe w/5" stack.
'90 W250 R/C,47rh,K@N,HX35,1/8" bump,2nd gen IC,boost,egt,trans temp.3.07's.
'96 2500 S/C L/B,2wd,NV5600,3.54 L/S,cai,egt,pacbrake,mbrp exhaust,10 plate.
Bring back the Bank of Canada, PRE- 1974.
Remps
14mm rotor

Postby wilkyflex » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:29 pm

I took the engine out and found that 4 seals were riding up the stems. I believe that's why it's smoking.
NOW, I want to put in a tophat style seal, for that 92 head, but can't seem to find one.

The viton seals I bought from maxiforce are even smaller than the ones before, and I cringe at the thought of them riding up the stems again.

Does anyone know where I can get tophat style seals that will fit the old style cummins head?

Thanks
Dean
wilkyflex
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Engine