Shift kit, and...?

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Shift kit, and...?

Postby Rob_O » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:48 pm

So yeah, I'm about to drop the pan on my transmission to adjust the bands and install a shift kit. Anything else I can and should do while I'm in there?
Rob_O
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Shift kit, and...?

Postby oldestof11 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:15 pm

Up line pressure a couple full turns
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby cougar » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:41 am

How many miles on it? Might want to overhaul it, not a good idea to stress an already tired transmission. Even throwing a shift kit in it may not give you what your expecting. If there are other issues in the valve body, they need to be addressed. There are also other upgrades to consider like replacing the plastic servo pistons with billet and replacing the sheet metal struts with better ones.
RIP 91.5 W250 5 speed. The great experiment.
92 W250 HD 47RH with Compushift. Upgraded H1C to 62/60/16, Scheid Lightning VE, 60# valve springs, DAP 7X.010 injectors, 4" DE exhaust, home made cooler tubes.
01 2500 "the work truck".
cougar
14mm rotor

Postby Rob_O » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:03 am

Mileage is unknown, transmission was possibly rebuilt but every seller says that. It's driving and shifting fine trying to keep it that way, if I drop the pan and find it full of metal and fiber I'll just adjust the bands and put in a clean filter. If everything appears okay I'll drop the valve body and visually inspect whatever I can before I start tampering with the internals

Dropping the transmission is not in the plans so I have no interest in what $1000 torque convertor to buy but if a few of these relatively inexpensive billet bits and pieces can be installed with the transmission in the vehicle I'd be interested to hear recommendations on what to install and why.
Rob_O
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cougar » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:52 am

The most I've spent on a torque converter is $500 for a low stall single disc. Non lock ups can be had for less. I've had both my transmissions done over the last few years, the 92 twice. The reason why twice is the 1st shop cheaped out and the transmission only lasted about 35K miles.The latest 01 and 92 rebuilds where heavy duty towing transmissions. No billit shafts or triple disc converters. Just heavy duty quality parts and a few less expensive upgrades.
Shift kits come with a variety of parts, some more like the Transgo and some less like Solex. However, if you don't stop the hydraulic leaks in the valve body components you won't accomplish anything. If your not going to replace bands and clutches, at least pay detailed attention to the hydraulic system.
RIP 91.5 W250 5 speed. The great experiment.
92 W250 HD 47RH with Compushift. Upgraded H1C to 62/60/16, Scheid Lightning VE, 60# valve springs, DAP 7X.010 injectors, 4" DE exhaust, home made cooler tubes.
01 2500 "the work truck".
cougar
14mm rotor

Postby DodgeFreak » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:35 pm

I haven't needed to replace the front and rear servo on a 46 or 47 except one on a gasser that the front band was really worn and was way out of adjustment which caused the piston to cock sideways some and put a mark in the bore. Do a pressure check on them before you drop the pan and see if they are in spec. if they are in spec I'd toss a shift kit in it. to firm it up some. I don't haven't tried but I don't think you can drop the rear servo with it in the truck. you can if you want to pull the od housing off. the front one if you loosen the band up enough you can move the arm enough to pull the front one. I haven't tried to do them in the truck before so I'm not 100% on that.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission