Swapping an auto in my p pumped w350

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Swapping an auto in my p pumped w350

Postby manostihl » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:13 pm

So I been wanting to swap my old getrag out of my 89w350 for an auto for a while. I'm just tired of the stick for snow plowing. My stick needed a little work but it still worked fine was hoping to find someone that would trade me for a 47rh. No luck for months but I didn't think to try here but finally a guy hit me up thinking he had a 2wd 47rh I was gonna change to a 4 wheel. but it turned out to be an a518. I figured wth with the luck I was having I'd take the 518 and make do but it turned out to be pretty much fried in the forwards. Then another buddy hit me up saying he might have a 47re in a 97 2500 gasser. It looked like one and he only wanted 150 for it and the np241dhd t case. I took it turns out it's a 46re so now I don't know wtf to do. Was hoping it was a 47 and I'd just gut it and put all the internals in my 518 case with a manual vb and a billet tc and be good to go. I don't have a whole lot of money and I no longer tow anything more than a car or a tractor. Just plow snow and enjoy driving her. Does anyone have a 47 re or rh they would sell? Or parts to make my 518 I got have of and tc lockup. I got some 518 and 46re parts now! All the parts in the 46re great shape.
manostihl
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Swapping an auto in my p pumped w350

Postby txs » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:53 am

first thing is you need an auto 205 to do that swap, shouldnt be hard to swap that, most folks want to go the other way, auto to stick. You can use most of the 46 internals in the 518, clutches and so forth. The one the 46 probly dont have is the steel front carrier. You will need to find any four speed auto 4x4 overdrive assembly that used a governor, jeep cherokees got the re in 95, everything else went re in 96 (the re trannies dont have a hydraulic governor). Even an a500 OD unit will work for you, swap in the OD internals from the 2 wheel drive 518. If the 46re is lockup use the input shaft and reaction shaft support, and buy a 47rh valve body and make the 518 a lockup.
93 w250 6 speed 4" exhaust, caution, work truck, she's no beauty. building 1 ton dually 4x4, dana 80, 48rh, 205 Scratch the one ton, bought frt. dually 4x4 98 12 valve with the tiny rear doors. rides so much better than the 93.
txs
14mm rotor

Postby manostihl » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:19 pm

txs wrote:first thing is you need an auto 205 to do that swap, shouldnt be hard to swap that, most folks want to go the other way, auto to stick. You can use most of the 46 internals in the 518, clutches and so forth. The one the 46 probly dont have is the steel front carrier. You will need to find any four speed auto 4x4 overdrive assembly that used a governor, jeep cherokees got the re in 95, everything else went re in 96 (the re trannies dont have a hydraulic governor). Even an a500 OD unit will work for you, swap in the OD internals from the 2 wheel drive 518. If the 46re is lockup use the input shaft and reaction shaft support, and buy a 47rh valve body and make the 518 a lockup.

Why do I need a od assembly with a governor if I'm going manual vb?
manostihl
fuel screw!!!!

Postby txs » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:48 am

its your truck, do what you want, manual shift vb is big pain in the butt with column shifter or regular floor mount shifter. ive had experience with manual shifted autos back in the muscle car era, only one that was not a pain was the button shift mopars.
93 w250 6 speed 4" exhaust, caution, work truck, she's no beauty. building 1 ton dually 4x4, dana 80, 48rh, 205 Scratch the one ton, bought frt. dually 4x4 98 12 valve with the tiny rear doors. rides so much better than the 93.
txs
14mm rotor

Postby manostihl » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:57 pm

txs wrote:its your truck, do what you want, manual shift vb is big pain in the butt with column shifter or regular floor mount shifter. ive had experience with manual shifted autos back in the muscle car era, only one that was not a pain was the button shift mopars.

I had a manual vb 350th in my big block powered Cutlass supreme. Definitely not a pain in the butt compared to shifting my 5 speed an having to use a clutch. I plan to use a Hurst 1/4 stick impossible to miss a shift.
manostihl
fuel screw!!!!

Postby manostihl » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:45 am

txs wrote:first thing is you need an auto 205 to do that swap, shouldnt be hard to swap that, most folks want to go the other way, auto to stick. You can use most of the 46 internals in the 518, clutches and so forth. The one the 46 probly dont have is the steel front carrier. You will need to find any four speed auto 4x4 overdrive assembly that used a governor, jeep cherokees got the re in 95, everything else went re in 96 (the re trannies dont have a hydraulic governor). Even an a500 OD unit will work for you, swap in the OD internals from the 2 wheel drive 518. If the 46re is lockup use the input shaft and reaction shaft support, and buy a 47rh valve body and make the 518 a lockup.

I have a 2wd 518 OD housing with a governor and two gasser 4wd of housings. Probably just swap the guts out into one of those. What is the steel front carrier ? All the internals from what I'm seeing are pretty much the same minus the input and reaction shaft
manostihl
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission