Just a little more . . . . .

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: Just a little more . . . . .

Postby BC847 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:23 pm

- Picked up the corrected rear driveshaft today.
- Got replacements for bolts I'll be damned if I know where they went.
- Got a 90* street-ELL so as to turn up the pressure-switch associated with the Compushift. If I install it as normally expected, the wires will be too close to the exhaust.

Tired today.
Watching Charlie Brown's Christmas (1965). The music has been and always will be awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBY3Ym0HvZs

You're welcome. ;)
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:21 pm

With my Son doing most of the work, we got a little more done today.

A while back now, I had to reshape the stock/OEM transmission's dip-stick tube to get around the former S362/HT3B compounds. With the new transmission moving back 1.125", I had to put more/different curves in the thing to have it not touch anything while still using the bell-housing bolt mount and, have the dip-stick handle where I could get to it.

It was a PITA a little over an hour, all by itself.

Then we went to the other side of the engine and connected the main power and control wires to the starter. It was a party too.

Finally, we moved on to the easy stuff for the day and hung the transfer-case.

I like to think I will hang the two drive-shafts tomorrow. That and maybe get started on modding the transmission's gear-shifter's linkage thingy.

We'll see, huh?
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:39 pm

Well, I did manage to install the driveshafts, . . . for the most part.

I started with the front driveshaft's double-cardan CV joint and torqued it's bolts to 65ft/lbs.

I apparently failed to look in the box and ensure I got the correct universal-joint mounting straps. DOH! One can see the new telescoping-joint in the assemble. I believe there's suppose to be a bellows-boot on the thing. Anybody have suggestions?

The rear driveshaft was pretty-much straight forward (with it being the correct length). The carrier-bearing mounting bolts to 50ft/lbs and, the universal-joint straps to 25ft/lbs.

While I was under there, I checked the torque of the transfer-case's case bolts. Got the transfer-case vent assembly installed.
Gotta get a refill of Argon. DOH!

Keep moving forward . . . . . .
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby PToombs » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:32 pm

In my experience, the front slide joint should not have a bellows on it. It has the seal under the screw on cap on the front piece. You can add one if you want, but it's not necessary.
FYI, I have been know to install starter wires before installing the starter. ;) On heavy equipment sometimes there is less room than on our trucks. Damn engineers!
What's with the wye in the exhaust before the muffler? I think I know, but would like verification. :mrgreen:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:03 pm

Pete,
I thought about connecting the wires but, only enough to figure out they aren't long enough to connect further than they reach now.

I saw the seal in there. Yup, I can see where a boot could hold moisture/debris. Thanks for the reply.

Yes, The temporary stack. ;)
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:18 pm

Alright, remember the stock/OEM transmission shift linkage torque-shaft bracket? It too needs to move back 1.125".

I whittled on it some and moved the location of the torque-shaft's bushing rearward 1.125".

Compared:

I like to think things will just fall into place.

We'll see, huh?
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:39 pm

Well, dang-it.

It's as though the gearshift linkage is suppose to be in there. Ain't that some chit?
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby dazedandconfused » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:30 am

Let me know your opinion on the Compu-shift. I'm going to eventually run one on my Excursion.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:47 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:Let me know your opinion on the Compu-shift. I'm going to eventually run one on my Excursion.

Will do, Andy. :)
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:08 pm

I've run a Want Ad looking a second skid-plate rear cross-member and get the impression the money I want to spend on the thing isn't really worth a seller's time.

Fine. I made do with what I have.

The top is what it was, the bottom is what I need.

By now ducking under the new transfer-case location, such will allow me to retain the original skid-plate cross-member location so I don't have to rebuild the mounts for the remote trans fluid heat-exchanger/filter stuff.

Crap. :roll:
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby PToombs » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:12 pm

All that adjusting and adapting is what takes so long. Especially if you are working around other custom stuff, BTDT myself!
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:21 pm

PToombs wrote:All that adjusting and adapting is what takes so long. Especially if you are working around other custom stuff, BTDT myself!

^^THIS!!!^

An example of my world . . . .

All I wanted to do was add a 90* Ell to the pressure switch for the CompuShift right there at the front servo port.

But NO! I had to look back there at the tranfer-case shifter thing!

The damned Governor Pressure port plug and a rib reinforcement on the 47 case was under the transfer-case shifter's mounting bracket. When I blindly installed the shifter, I tighten it on down and apparently bent the mounting flange.

Dang-it!

So, . .
- I pulled the shifter out and ended-up cutting the corner off the shifter bracket to clear the case's reinforcement rib. That required me to weld a plate adjacent to the cut so as to reinforce/hold things together.
- I know pipe-plugs are available that have a recessed Allen-type hex-head. I searched the shop high and low. Nuthin.
- Went to Lowe's to confirm they only had what I didn't need. (DUH).
- Bought a brass plug that had the external four-sided wrench head thingy. I was thinking I could just fill the thing with solder, cut the square wrench head off, and cut a flat-blade screw-driver slot in the thing.
- Got back home and figured I'd need a female 1/8" NPT fitting to hold the plug safely while I cut it.
- Naturally, I only then found the phacking recessed Allen Hex pipe-plug I was looking to start with.

Dang-it!

It's hard to see but, it all fits like it ought to now. PITA!!

Anyhoo, . . .

The now modified rear skid-plate's cross-member clears the transfer-case just fine.

All that crap was so I wouldn't have to modify the remote, fan-assisted transmission fluid cooler's front mount.

OR, the remotely-mounted transmission heat-exchanger complete with supplemental, large, spin-on trans-fluid filter.

I had hoped to get more accomplished before the shifter mess but, ended the day with servicing the battery.

Might get cocky tomorrow and put some fluid in the trans and flush the trans-fluid heating/cooling circuit complete, into a bucket.

Soon.
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby PToombs » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:46 pm

8) Getting there!
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:07 pm

Welp, after flushing the fluid cooler plumbing, I got some fluid in there. With the truck still on the four 10T safety-stands, I fired it up and, after allowing the fluid temp to rise a little, with it idling, shifted it into reverse. There rear wheels spin in reverse silently. :D
Slipped it into 1st and the rear wheels spun slowly. Shifting to 2nd has the drive-train thump slightly and the rear wheels sped up a little. Shifting on into drive has thing thump one more time as the heap went into 3rd. All pretty much smooth and silent.

Let it idle for a while to bring the engine and trans up to normal operating temp. It idling in drive a lot of it, shifting up and down through the gears randomly. Then confirmed there's enough fluid in it.

No surprises. 8)

Still gotta wire-in the OD and TCL along with the Compushift. Then finally a little re-dressing of lines moved during the fit-up.

So far, so good. :)
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby BC847 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:28 pm

As a general statement regarding this entire Frankinsteen trans install mess . . . . Without jinxing things, . . . SUCCESS.

Was able to take the truck out and drive it gently perhaps 20 miles. Enough to feel four distinct gentle thuds as 2nd, 3rd, OD, and converter lock-up occurred. Then, that intermittent break in one of the two conductors in the VSS plug broke completely in two (been half-heartedly dicking with it for the last three years? Very random and long in between :roll: ). With that, the Compushift wasn't getting a signal from the VSS (speedometer stopping working confirms). So, OD and converter lockup stopped.

Else,
- The 3-speed section initially appears to be tuned somewhat, if not very close to that desired.
- The looser converter, while initially, I can't immediately notice a change with simply pulling away from a stop sign driving like one ought to but, I did once get on it somewhat hard briefly enough to notice the boost came on seemingly quicker and definitely much harder.

Cool.

Took it home and parked it.

Gotta fix the loose VSS wiring, dress the lines/hoses moved and, with time, dial-in the CompShift.

:D 8)
David

12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to The good stuff