fuel filter gaskets ?

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

fuel filter gaskets ?

Postby jethro » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:24 pm

Ok--- I web searched for several hours to try to find a good low micron filter with a simple screw drain on the bottom. Eventually I cam up with a baldwin # BF7772. Supposed to be below 10 micron. (5+- ?)

So I tried to install it today. The filter looks correct--- BUT--- I noticed that the central small
gasket that goes on the stud was longer than the old one. the old one was smushed pretty flat---
so it was hard to compare directly. So I screwed it on. Primed the system using the pump lever.
I got it as tight as I thought it should go (by hand) and every time I pump the primer I get a squirt of fuel overboard from the top outer edge of the filter. This tells me that the center gasket is too
long and preventing the outer seal from going into compression.

Any ideas besides buying another filter ? This one was the only one I could find in town at the
big truck places. Most of them only carry filters for the bigger engines.

Looks like the gasket is about 2x too thick----- No one had the FS1221 Geno's doesn't even show that one either …….

I could go to dodge dealer but wanted a filter finer than 20 microns----

any ideas ?

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: fuel filter gaskets ?

Postby jethro » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:37 pm

should I just buy the cheapest thing I can find-- use the gasket on the baldwin and toss the cheap filter ?
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:37 pm

Hi Tim. It's strange that the gasket didn't fit correctly, I've noticed that if a filter has a fat center gasket it is recessed more than one that has a thin gasket, so they usually seal.
The factory filter is a 20 micron according to the Fleetguard website.
I have something different on my truck, I tried to look and can't get the number off it. It's a Fleetguard FS 19073 or something close. I tried to look it up by what I thought it was and it didn't come up any which way I tried it.
Try a different filter, or a NAPA filter, if you don't like the looks of it just use the gasket.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby 1320Fastback » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:09 pm

I've been using BF7772 filters for years in my truck. I do not run a fuel heater though. Not sure if that makes a difference.
92 D250, Getrag 5 Speed, 3.54, extra cab, long bed, AC works, Airbags.
1320Fastback
fuel pin?

Return to Engine