turbo oil seals

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

turbo oil seals

Postby paradisepwoffrd » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:28 am

Hey all. I am new to the site and diesels. I am looking to get a 1st gen Cummins and ran across one locally. The owner wont give me much info or pics, but I am going to try to look at it this weekend.

Here is what he has told me:

1989 Dodge diesel 4x4 pu. 5spd(NP trans) This truck needs a lift pump(leaking), its runs great. It will also eventually need an oil seal in the turbo. I bought this truck along with some other stuff and will sell it for $2500 as is. It is standard cab truck, needs a little tlc and a tail gate.

From my research the lift pump doesnt seem like a big deal, but the oil in the turbo somewhat concerns me. Im just wondering what to look for when I go look at it, and what might tell me to get it or run from it?

TIA
Ben
paradisepwoffrd
smoke screw?

Re: turbo oil seals

Postby ellis93 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:58 am

You're right that the lift is no big deal. The turbo is not hard to rebuild either. Problem I've ran into is the center section ,of the turbo I had, was worn to the point that the new bushings did nothing to tighten things up. If you are to tackle this make sure that there is no excesive play ,like up and down and in and out. A small amount of side-to-side play is ok but if there is a lot then there may be other things that are worn as well. Also check the nut on the turbin shaft. If its 12 point then its core balanced if its 6 point then its spun balanced and you'll need to mark the shaft and inducer so they can be aligned back in the same place.
I got my parts here:
http://www.gdsdieselparts.com/

Hope it helps.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby 1STGENFARMBOY » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:31 pm

HECK I WOULDN'T CARE IF THE TURBO WAS EVEN ON IT FOR THAT PRICE,

the drive train is worth what he want's
93 W250 STD CAB, AUTO 3.55, GAUGES, 80HP DDP STICKS, DENNY T ,16CM HOUSING, 60MM GILLETT, VE MAXED,BHAF, BHFF, 366 SPRING,P/S INTERCOOLER, TIMS COOLER TUBS, TIMMING 1/8 BUMP,4in TURBO BACK TO DUEL 5IN STACKS,33 12.50 BFG, HOLLEY BLACK, CONVERTER COOMING.
1STGENFARMBOY
14mm rotor

Postby paradisepwoffrd » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:43 pm

that was my thought really... I am going to make sure it runs good, and that the tranny shifts well, and it isnt a complete rust bucket. I am mainly needing a work truck and tow rig for my cars and such... but i know that once i get a diesel, I will want to play with it more too...

I have heard mention that you could swap a later or different stock turbo on for fairly cheap, and it would be an upgrade on the 1st gens?

Also since I will be towing in the mtns, are EGTs an issue without having an intercooler? Im not planning to turn it up much, but want to make sure I can keep everything cool while pulling the hills.

Is there anything else that i need to look for while im there?
paradisepwoffrd
smoke screw?

Postby Richie O » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:27 pm

Stock tuned non intercooled trucks do not need an intercooler. They have more power in stock form then a factory cooled truck even though they had same factory ratings. I question what a ( NP ) tranny is. It should have a Getrag G360 5 speed if its stock. Someone may have put something else in there like a NV4500 5 speed. Rust above the windshield can be a pain, as well as floor and cab mounts rusted. The aftermarket metal market for these trucks are crap. Its most likely worth 2500 but not sure. Depends on condition.
1989 W250 727, 3.07 L/S, S300, P/S Intercooler, Stans exaust, Pump adjustments, 127k miles,297 hp
1993 W250 extended cab, rag, 4.10 l/s, 6x16's, HTT 62/71/14 piston l/p, Isspro EV series tach, fuel pressure, boost, oil pres, water temp, volt, pryo, 132k/ 301 hp
1992 W250 with NV4500, 3.54's, 16cm 60mm GDS H1C, ground stock cone, Isspro tach, pryo, boost, fuel pressure, slow, rusty, dented,180k
Richie O
Administrator

Return to Things you've learned