flowin fuel to keep the ve cool

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

flowin fuel to keep the ve cool

Postby cummins king » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:45 am

has anybody drilled the banjo bolts on the return line to get more fuel flowing, i would think that thats abetter way to flow fuel istead of massive injectors,

or has anybody dilled the banjo bolt on the ve pumps return

or put new and bigger return lines
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby JD730 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:20 am

Why would you want to drill the return banjo bolts at the injectors? They are only there to return whatever fuel bypasses the injector's nozzle for lube. If you have too much fuel flowing at the injector's return you have a bad nozzle.

Have you even looked at the return banjo bolt on the VE???? It has a small hole in it and a screen filter. If you enlarge it you'll have more fuel heading to the return and the stock vane pump will have even more trouble maintain case pressure with large sticks and WOT. Then you'd have to rely even more on a secondary inlet to keep case pressure up.
Mike
Thats not a leak, its the external lubrication system.
The "Rattle Box"
93 W250 Silver Club Cab, few tweaks here and there.
John Deere Two Cylinders, too many to list.
JD730
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cummins king » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:43 pm

im not worryed about pressure the idea it to flow the fuel so the ve keeps cool,
FORD is running huge injectors to move the fuel, so instead of filling your tank every pass, because you cant burn all the fuel and its all going out the tail pipe
make the returns bigger so it will still move the fuel and not lose eficcienty and it wont blow so much black smoke
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby JD730 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:57 pm

cummins king wrote:im not worryed about pressure the idea it to flow the fuel so the ve keeps cool,

Not worried about pressure? Then how do you expect the rotor to get filled with fuel? Your analogy reminds me an engine I took apart one time, it had the pressure regulator stuck open. It had plenty of oil flow to the pump and right back to the sump, but non of the parts that needed it got enough oil, wiped the bearings out.

cummins king wrote:FORD is running huge injectors to move the fuel, so instead of filling your tank every pass,
Ok, what does that have to do with return lines?????

cummins king wrote:because you cant burn all the fuel and its all going out the tail pipe

Huh?? He can't burn all his fuel because he doesn't have enough air to do so.

cummins king wrote:make the returns bigger so it will still move the fuel and not lose eficcienty and it wont blow so much black smoke

There was a time when some injectors didn't have a return, just a high pressure line. Black smoke is from not enough air and big injectors. Honestly there shouldn't be anymore fuel bypassing the nozzle than there is on a stock fuel system.
Mike
Thats not a leak, its the external lubrication system.
The "Rattle Box"
93 W250 Silver Club Cab, few tweaks here and there.
John Deere Two Cylinders, too many to list.
JD730
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cummins king » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:36 pm

Not worried about pressure? Then how do you expect the rotor to get filled with fuel

i dont mean no pressure but when your runing a big aeromotive, your not going to have this problem

Ok, what does that have to do with return lines?????

he said he wanted to have big injectors to make power but also to move the fuel to keep the pump cool

Huh?? He can't burn all his fuel because he doesn't have enough air to do so

you need 18 times more air then fuel to make no black smoke, im just saying the more the black smoke the more unburnt fuel (inificient)

There was a time when some injectors didn't have a return, just a high pressure line. Black smoke is from not enough air and big injectors. Honestly there shouldn't be anymore fuel bypassing the nozzle than there is on a stock fuel system.

did i clear up what i was trying to say Grrrr....

black smoke is unbernt fuel because you dont have enoughair coming to complete the combustion and a few other small veriables, but what im saying is i wrather move fuel through the ve and back into the return lines then wasting it by through the injectors, i cant push enough air
to burn it

and by opening the return lines up a bit (not talking 1/2 inch NPT hear :mad: ) a bit! then you will move fuel through the IP.

am i right or am i missing somthing
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby seeker1056 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:44 am

If I understand the VE pump correctly, that sized orrifice in the return line is so that with a stock lift pump you have a certain internal pressure to keep the pump primed and not cavitating.

By the same token should one increase supply pressure to the 70+ psi some are talkin here and the increase in injector sizes, one may not need to increase that orifice to increase flow as it is already happening past the injectors and thier return line

As a matter of fact I suspect if you did increase the orifice size, even with the increased pressure you would cause cavitation in the pump cuz the bigger injectors would be usin a lot more fuel, ergo more flow and the pump might not keep up with the demand if the bypass/return was passin too much fuel.

just my .03
91 F350 5.9 Cummins, Custom built VE 12v

Sponsors of new truck

Performance Diesel Injection
Colt Cams
H&H Offroad
Arties Transmission
Toms Contracting
seeker1056
14mm rotor

Postby ford69557ci » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:46 pm

the 6x20's are the max the 12mm v will take atleast mine anyway. with these sticks i still average 20-22mpg on the highway like i always have but go beatin on the throttle and it goes down to 12-15. i dont have enough air from the turbo to clear the smoke but i can hit the magic button and turn it into a gray haze. the return system is there to remove excess fuel if you sticks are in good shape and are large enough for the amount of fuel you tryin to push out of the pump then there is no reason for any larger lines.
92 w250, NV4500, D80, maxed pump, AFC gone, extended fuel screw, more to come.
ford69557ci
14mm rotor

Postby Underpsi » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:46 pm

Bigger injectors take the strain off the VE because its less restiction. Example if you were blowing through a small straw it would be much easier to blow the same amount of air through a bigger straw and you could actually blow even more air through it depending on the size and amount of restiction you could take
1989 D250 5spd w/SB3250DD, .020 over head gasket, O-rings, Extensive port/polish, ARP head studs, 62/71/14, 6x.018 sticks. First Dyno stock turbo and pods: 343/879
2nd with 62 & big sticks: 393/813
Underpsi
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cummins king » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:59 pm

i wasnt really thinking bigger line i was thinking bigger bango bolt holes, only trying to move asmuch fuel to make the most power with the least adnount of waste resulting in less smoke, if it were a perfect world :roll:
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby ford69557ci » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:20 pm

lol better buy a common rail or really research your turbos and get the perfect match
ford69557ci
14mm rotor

Postby cummins king » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:32 pm

lol perfict world, i wonder how banks does it you never see any smoke any more from them not in there sidewinder or the drag truck, i know they use nitous but they also must have some other stuff we havent heard about
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby seeker1056 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:10 am

its called a computor and a variable venturi turbo with sensors in each exhaust port

Fuel is metered exactly per need and the trubo is regulated by computor as well, thereby not wastin fuel, ergo no black smoke

people have questioned why he makes so much power on so little fuel - its becuase the extra fuel aint contaminatin the burn and slowin it down

black smoke may make the ego happy but it aint doin nuthin for performance
91 F350 5.9 Cummins, Custom built VE 12v

Sponsors of new truck

Performance Diesel Injection
Colt Cams
H&H Offroad
Arties Transmission
Toms Contracting
seeker1056
14mm rotor

Postby cummins king » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:41 am

cool
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby ford69557ci » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:51 am

yes banks has the tech and money to do it but still without nitrous on the spool up he would still have some black smoke. if a pull truck can belt out black smoke and make 800+hp then i dont think it hurts the power that greatly or else the big dogs would be figurin out how to make theirs burn completely clean
ford69557ci
14mm rotor

Postby cummins king » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:13 pm

yes, if you could use all the fuel in a complete burn then then you would make more power, i have nothing against black smoke it more cool then anything, its just the pos sitting around a corner
lol
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Next

Return to The good stuff