Deeper thoughts about air flow

How to make it go fast

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Deeper thoughts about air flow

Postby cmann250 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:17 pm

I've decided i have plenty of fuel for my tastes with stock non-IC'd injectors and a tweaked pump. Now i need the air to cool it. What i want is to never have to realistically worry about EGT's. I know if i put it to the floor while towing before the turbo spools, i'll always watch my pyro swing straight up. Realistically never have EGT problems ;)

Here's what I'm thinking will work (very subject to change):
-7.3L PSD intercooler
-Super 40 turbo
-Custom 3" or 3.5" intercooler tubes because i want to make a custom twin intake (don't worry TWorline, they will not look NEARLY as pretty as your's :lol: )
-The aforementioned twin intake (2.5" or 3") entering between cylinders 2 & 3 and 4 & 5, plus the custom intake plate
-And obviously 4" exhaust

I don't really care about mega horsepower and i have no desire to keep up with chipped common rails and Duramaxes. I just want a truck that runs pretty well, doesn't get too warm, and tows nicely.

Questions, comments, or concerns? Post them up, i want to hear them
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Re: Deeper thoughts about air flow

Postby Kasper Cummins » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:58 am

Sounds like you have a good plan. The turbo sounds big to me but I don't know anyone personally that is running a super40. You could also setup a water injection system.
92 W250 club cab

Kasper Performance Fabrication
Kasper Cummins
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oldestof11 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:30 am

Good plan!
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:19 pm

Kasper Cummins wrote:Sounds like you have a good plan. The turbo sounds big to me but I don't know anyone personally that is running a super40. You could also setup a water injection system.

Well, I would think an HX 35 would be too small and egt's would get toasty. From what i understand, their compressors are marginally bigger than the H1C I have now. The whole goal is to not have to turn down the fuel 8)

On my intake horn idea, i may have to scale back because of injector lines. Unless i want to get custom lines made

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby JQmile » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:53 pm

Or you could just build twins. Might not be as expensive as you might think, and they'll cool anything.
1989 D250 2wd. Scheid 14mm VE pump and 5x25's, J&H Performance 47RH trans with Suncoast manual valvebody, dual wastegates, 62/65/14 S300, NX Dual Stage nitrous, 487 on fuel, 972 on the jug.
JQmile
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:46 am

Don't be telling me that :twisted: If the Super 40 doesn't spool or cool like i want it to, a small set of twins will be strongly considered. What concerns me about twins is i'd have twice as many potential oil leak points (feeds and returns) and there's so much more hot pipe under the hood that could raise coolant temps. At least those are the issues i have seen people have before

Anyone please discuss twins further, that's why i said the plan was so loose in the first place. I want to see twins on daily drivers and tow rigs

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby JustinRhodes » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:24 am

cmann250 wrote:Don't be telling me that :twisted: If the Super 40 doesn't spool or cool like i want it to, a small set of twins will be strongly considered. What concerns me about twins is i'd have twice as many potential oil leak points (feeds and returns) and there's so much more hot pipe under the hood that could raise coolant temps. At least those are the issues i have seen people have before

Anyone please discuss twins further, that's why i said the plan was so loose in the first place. I want to see twins on daily drivers and tow rigs

Tacoclaw has a set of twins and is(was?) daily driving his truck. I believe he said his coolant temps didnt raise at all but he would have to fill you in. He setup looks cool with all the heat blankets all over everything :D

Also Ahineman was daily driving with twins i believe there for a while. Speaking of that, hineman why haven't i passed you going down the road in your truck yet?? :lol:

Also if you buy a super 40 and not like it, let me know if u sell it.
91 Dodge W250 Pee Pumped Cummings
JustinRhodes
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Kasper Cummins » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:56 am

Maybe keep your H1C and use an air to water intercooler. Or you could try twins with an air to water intercooler.
92 W250 club cab

Kasper Performance Fabrication
Kasper Cummins
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cmann250 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:01 am

Justin- you've got some valid points there. I have a feeling that both of them are running alot more fuel through their engines than i am. I think Pulltilbroke's friend stillsmokin has twins on his tow rig. I still have to be able to tow comfortably. I don't tow every day, but i tow more that the average guy does. The Super 40 idea came into my head after i saw Philip's truck at SOP. He has 6x16's with near stock IP settings and a Super 40. I think the amount of fuel we're putting into our engines has to be close to the same. His is a farm truck like mine and i'm sure he uses it to it's full potential, which is what i want to be able to do. Just my thoughts...

Kasper- A air-to-water IC is too out there for me :lol:

Here's my explanation on the "twin ram" style intake. 1. It looks cool 2. Science says it will cool EGT's because the air entering the front and back cylinders will be cooler due to the fact it will be in the intake log for a shorter time. This would result in an over all cooler EGT. I'm not dropping several hundred on a kit from a company, so i'm only into it for materials and time. I saw a comparison of my current stock crossover tube to a 2nd gen one, and the restriction is amazing in my cross over tube. Efficiency is all about getting air in and out easily

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:24 am

Now also think about this...

Stomp had 7xxhp worth of air going through his stock intake. It wasn't until recently that he had that part upgraded.

Air to water would be ok but compounds would be far more effective.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:39 am

oldestof11 wrote:Now also think about this...

Stomp had 7xxhp worth of air going through his stock intake. It wasn't until recently that he had that part upgraded.

Air to water would be ok but compounds would be far more effective.

That's a good point Jon, but i'm not going to tread into VE cummins politics :lol: Is the science behind my air flow and intake idea solid? It's been said before that a twin intake isn't all it's cracked up to be. Other than the "cool factor", is a twin intake better than a p-pump 12v or 24v stock intake horn?

I'm still a bit skeptical of twins being as reliable as stock... Share your reliability stories on twins! :mrgreen:

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby BC847 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:47 pm

The twin-intake feed-horns don't in themselves add any power. It's just a Vee-shaped pipe that conducts nothing but air. That being said, it in terms of charge-air distribution to a log-manifold, is superior as compared to a single inlet type of feed-horn. The point, a more uniform charge-air intake per cylinder combined with uniform fuel injection (uniform Pop-pressures) will result in more uniform power production from each of the six cylinders.
The idea is to avoid cylinders 2 & 3 potentially running lean as compared to 5 & 6 potentially running rich for example.

If you're serious about such and have deeper pockets, just cut off the integral intake-log, port the intake-runners and bolt on an after-market intake-log and be done with it.
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby cmann250 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Thanks BC847, that's the kind of info i'm looking for. Milling off the intake log is out of the question due to relatively shallow pockets. I did take a look at some of your pics to get ideas on routing injector lines

I understand the "evening out" effect of the twin intake horns. So with that info, i think i'm sold on the idea.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby ahale2772 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:12 pm

Hey my pockets are non-existant and i still have a milled up head and a runner manifold, its wouldnt be a 1st gen if us guys bought every thing for our trucks amd just forked out $$$

I guess a cnc mill and lots of metal working stuff helps tho :grin:

Im kinda in the same position as you, I would like to burn some of my fuel before i start throwing more at my truck. Ive got a funny looking stick with weird lobes on it coming in the mail for just that reason 8)
84 CCLB W350 project
94' W350 Dually, Diesel, Auto 1080HP/1980FTlbs
ahale2772
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:26 am

I'm not needing to go that deep into it, i have alot of improvement i can do on the outside yet :mrgreen:

cmann250
14mm rotor

Next

Return to The good stuff